9 SKILLS WORKSHOP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reading Fluency

2 posters

Go down

Reading Fluency Empty Reading Fluency

Post by GregM Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Skill: Reading

Resource: https://www.scribd.com/doc/286242718/Practical-Faster-Reading-Gerald-Mosback-Vivienne-Mosback

Description:
Practical Faster Reading by Gerald and Vivian Mosback is skills focused work in reading fluency and vocabulary. It is based on research that people who read faster understand what they are reading better. I attribute this to being able to keep more information in working memory.

Usefulness: (50-100 words)
The exercises in this text work best if done regularly every session. Student reading speeds and comprehension results should be recorded and tracked in a spreadsheet to show progress over time. I usually require the students answer the comprehension questions from memory, but the vocabulary work makes for good scanning and working out meaning from context.

I’ve paired this text with expository writing for EAP courses in the past, which has worked well because the reading topics and language input can be used as a springboard for writing topics. I’ve also paired it with Contemporary Topics but feel it pairs better with a writing course. Contemporary Topics also pairs well with a writing course for the same reasons Practical Faster Reading does if you wish to focus on listening skills.
GregM
GregM

Back to top Go down

Reading Fluency Empty Re: Reading Fluency

Post by eva Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Thank you for the link, Greg. I am actually curious about this book because i was only able to read the preview and I couldn't download it. How can I read the whole book online Question
eva
eva

Back to top Go down